Pages

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

When I was in high school, my friend Jenn and I used to go to the foodcourt of the local mall to do two things:

1) gossip about boys
and
2) eat General Tso's chicken from Sarku Japan.

and to this day it is still one of my favorite things to order takeout.

But Krista is going to be saving me some bucks (as well as saving me from MSG poisoning) with the fabulous recipe below.

It will be nice to eat it without having to worry about piecing the styrafoam container with my plastic fork!

General Tso's Chicken
by Krista from SkiptomyLooLoo.com


Based on an authentic Hunan dish that translates
roughly as "ancestor meeting place chicken.” This is
the chicken they have at the mall that they are always
trying to get you to try. People never believe this
actually came out of my kitchen.


Takes about 45 minutes to prepare. I make it with a
side of steamed rice.



Sauce:
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1+1/2 tsp minced garlic
1+1/2 tsp minced ginger root
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup cooking wine
1+1/2 cup hot chicken broth


Meat:
3 lbs de-boned dark chicken meat, cut into small
chunks
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp white pepper
1 egg
1 cup cornstarch
Vegetable oil for deep-frying
16 small dried hot peppers (careful!)


1) Mix 1/2 cup cornstarch with water. Add garlic,
ginger, sugar, 1/2 cup soy sauce, vinegar, wine,
chicken broth. Stir until sugar dissolves.
Refrigerate until needed.


2) In separate bowl, mix chicken, 1/4 cup soy sauce
and white pepper. Stir in egg. Add 1 cup cornstarch
and mix until chicken pieces are coated evenly. Add
cup of vegetable oil to help separate chicken pieces.
Divide chicken into small quantities and deep-fry at
350 degrees until crispy. Drain on paper towels.


3) Place a small amount of oil in deep pan or wok and
heat until pan/wok is hot. Open a few peppers for
desired spiciness. Re-stir sauce and add to wok. Place
chicken in sauce and cook until sauce thickens.

1 comment:

Tai said...

Ah, the General's chicken. It's addictive, isn't it? So addictive, that years ago I had to find out the origin of it's name. Is it wrong that I have this link in my favorites? ;)
Who Was General Tso And Why Are We Eating His Chicken?