Pages

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

In the summer, it is hard to get motivated to cook (for me at least).

I find that Adam and I order out/go out to dinner more and I am not really ever inclined to even look in the oven's direction.

However on the way home from Maine on Sunday, we found the most adorable veggie stand with fresh summer squash and zucchini and herbs and we could not help stocking up. This, coupled with the fact that porterhouse steaks were on sale this week at Shaw's, motivated me to get cracking in the kitchen and last night we had a fabulous summer dinner.

For our meal we had grilled porterhouse steak (for Adam)


And a grilled pork chop for me ( I am off the red meat).


And for a side dish I made this AMAZING squash casserole that Adam loved. I loved it too but Adam I mean LOOOOOVED it. The man loves his squash what can I say?



SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE

2 lb. mix of summer squash and zucchini, sliced evenly
1/4 c. onion, chopped
1 c. low fat sour cream
3/4 can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (8 oz.) pkg. herb seasoned stuffing mix
1/2 c. Olivio (or other butter substitute)

In saucepan, cook sliced squash and chopped onion in boiling water for 5 minutes. Drain. Combine soup and sour cream. Fold in squash and onion.

In a seperate bowl Combine stuffing mix and Olivio.

Spread half of stuffing mixture in bottom of a 9x9baking dish. Press down evenly. Spoon squash mixture on top of stuffing. Sprinkle remaining stuffing over squash. Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until heated through. Makes 6 or more servings.

*******************************************

And for dessert I made a strawberry tart that was a play on a Paula Deen fruit tart I make sometimes. It literally takes 10 minutes to put together.



Summer Strawberry Tart
1 pre-made pie crust (I used shortbread)
1 (8 ounce) package low fat cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
4 cups fresh strawberries, halved
1/4 cup red currant jelly<---my FAVORITE flavor jelly.


Combine cream cheese and confectioner 's sugar in medium bowl. Beat with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts. Fold in whipped cream and almonds by hand until well mixed. Pour into crust. Refrigerate until firm.

Decorate pie with strawberries fully. Heat jelly in microwave oven just until soft and brush carefully over strawberries until glazed. Refrigerate until serving.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

haha, the good news is the tart requires NO cooking! just mixing, and chilling. :-)

M said...

HEART Paula Dean... I don't cook, but I love watching other people.

Anonymous said...

My family has made a recipie similar to the squash casserole for years, the only difference is that we add slivered carrots to the mix.