Pages

Monday, August 13, 2007

Frit-R-Done

While deciding to do with a large summer squash given to me by a green thumbed-coworker, I felt unusually compelled to make them into some kind of fritter. Mostly because I just love saying the word fritter.

Fritter. Fritter. Fritter.

It’s fun, right?

Anyway, I cruised online for a recipe but everything I found called for grating the squash and I just am not texturally into grated vegetables, even in fritter form. I was reminded of a mini sweet potato pancake recipe I used for a Christmas Party a few years ago and decided it’s method of pureeing the potatoes instead of grating them was the means I wanted to get to fritter- city with the squash. I added some onion for more taste, breadcrumbs because I can’t seem to make any squash dish without them, and the usual suspects you might find in any fritter recipe.

It’s key that you refrigerate the fritter batter for at least an hour before frying them, it really makes them hold together fabulously.

What you’ll need for Summer Squash Fritters

1 lb (or so) summer squash
1 large onion, chopped finely
¼ c olive oil
½ c flour
½ c Italian breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
2 tbsp melted margarine/butter
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper

Peel and chop the squash into ¼ inch chunks. Saute in good sized pan over medium heat with the onion and half of the olive oil until very soft – about ten minutes.



Remove from heat and puree in food processor until smooth – about 30 seconds.



Let it cool for a few minutes and then empty the pureed squash and onion onto a large square of cheesecloth (or a clean dishtowel) and squeeze all of the excess liquid out. You will be AMAZED at how much there is. Seriously it decreased the volume of my squash by like half. Place the wrung out squash in a large bowl and let cool (I stuck it in the fridge for about 15 minutes). Then add in the breadcrumbs, egg, margarine and thyme, salt and pepper. Blend with large spoon until everything is combined. Then form into ball, cover bowl and refrigerate for at least one hour.



Spread the flour out on a plate and add salt and pepper tonight. You always want to season flour when you are dredging something in it since it’s a great opportunity to add more flavor! Form the dough into one inch balls, flatten slightly and dip into flour, making sure all sides are covered.



Heat remaining olive oil over medium heat until hot and fry the fritters until golden brown, about 3 minutes a side.



Aren’t they cute?

They are really tasty on their own, but since I had some feta and a can of diced tomato I made a little feta salsa to put on top and it added a nice little burst of extra flavor


I served these as a side dish with some grilled chicken but they would make an equally fabulous appetizer. You can even form and flour the fritters and then stick them in the fridge earlier in the day, then when you’re guests arrive just fry them up for a few minutes, plate them and voila! An easy warm appetizer that won’t have you in the kitchen all night!

P.S.

FRITTER

1 comment:

Joanne said...

Speaking of fritters...have you ever made sweet potato fritters? I have a recipe somewhere in a "Texan" cookbook. Delish!