Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2007

CHoPS

You know, it's not always about the HEAVY CREAM and the TONS O' CHEESE and the WEIRD ANIMALS MOST PEOPLE DON'T EAT over here at the Pink Shoe Cookbook. Sometimes, at dinner time you just want a good meal that won't undo all the hard work you have done during the day in your endless (or in my case, one day long) quest towards good health.

Knowing that I had some fabulous pork loin chops in the freezer and also knowing that I had purchased some So Perfect They Look Kind of Fake green apples a few days ago. I sought to combine these two elements in a perfect, mostly healthy meal. And so unto us the Pork Chops with Apple Stuffing are born.

They are healthy.

They are easy to make.

They are SCRUMPTIOUS. I mean really very tasty. And with the apple + mustard+wheat breadiness of the stuffing just screams FALL. I mean it tastes like a goldeny-orange leaf falling from an oak tree. If that leaf landed on some super tender and moist pork.

(That was meant to sound delicious.)

In any case, this recipe is from Check Your Health and is so good, you will be adding it to your cooking repertoire I am sure. Or at least making it once and being really psyched about it.

You will need:


2 tbsp olive oil
4 pork loin chops
salt + pepper
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
1 1/2 cup bread cubes (about 3 slices)
2 tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1/4 c fresh chopped parsley
1/4 c apple cider
1 tbsp mustard

Preheat oven to 350.

If toasted the bread so it would not get too soggy - if you want to do that as well then take about three slices of whole wheat bread, cut into chunks and spread over a baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes.

(This totally makes me want to bake my own croutons. )

While that's going on, chop all your stuff that needs chopping and set aside.



As a general aside, for a long time I couldn't peel an apple in one long peel and was pissed about it. Then then one day when I had long since decided I didn't care anymore, I randomly did it and have been doing so ever since. I will admit, I feel like a cool kid.


AW YEAH!

Anyway, heat 1/2 the olive oil in a large pan over medium high heat. Salt and Pepper the pork chops and cook about 2 minutes on each side, until a little brown (don't worry about cooking them all the way, that will happen in the oven later). Set aside in a baking pan.



Add the rest of the olive oil and throw in your onion and celery. Cook until soft (about 10 minutes)


I find cooking onions and celery in oil so comforting. Seriously if everyone had to make stuffing whenever they were stressed, the world would be a more pleasant place.

Once those are soft add in your chopped apples and cook for five more minutes. Stir in bread and parsley and remove from heat.



Stir in the apple cider and salt and pepper to your liking. Spread the mustard over each pork chop and then spread the stuffing all over the pork chops in the pan. I mean positively bury them.



Bake for 20 minutes. Serve each chop with a heap of stuffing and whatever sides you like (I used Italian green beans and wild rice)



Magnifique!

The hint of sharpness from the mustard contrasts SO WELL with the sweet-tart style of the green apples and onions. The coating of stuffing ensures a totally tender and moist cut of meat and it's just a divine, easy and healthful meal.

No comments: