Pages

Monday, October 15, 2007

Pumpkin Madness

Around this time of year I get consumed with All Things Pumpkin....pretty much any recipe that sounds delicious and involves my favorite gourd gets a try from me. Which meant when I came across this pumpkin cheesecake recipe on Epicurious I started drooling. Pumpkin and CHEESECAKE!? Could this be the perfect food? Well I will tell you it comes pretty darn close.

Spiced Pumpkin Cheesecake from Epicurious.com

Crust
9 whole graham crackers (about 4 ounces), broken (I used gingersnaps for some extra spice)
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted

Filling
4 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin
1 cup whipping cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

For crust:
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Combine graham crackers, sugar, and cinnamon in processor.


Blend until graham crackers are very finely ground. Drizzle butter over. Using on/off turns, blend until crumbs begin to stick together. Press crumbs onto bottom (not sides) of a 10 inch springform pan. Bake until crust is slightly golden, about 10 minutes.


Transfer to rack and cool while preparing filling. Maintain oven temperature.

For filling:
Using electric mixer, beat cream cheese and sugar in large bowl until smooth and fluffy.


(Look at all that cream cheese!)

Beat in eggs in one at a time. Add pumpkin and remaining 7 ingredients. Beat just until blended.

Pour filling into prepared crust. Place on top rack in oven and then place a large baking pan filled with warm water directly below it to prevent the top from cracking
Bake cheesecake until slightly puffed and softly set and top is golden, about 1 1/2 hours. Transfer springform pan to rack and cool. Cover and refrigerate cake overnight.

Using knife, cut around sides of pan to loosen cake. Release pan sides. Cut cheesecake into wedges and serve.




Tips & Tricks


*The original recipe calls for wrapping the springform pan in aluminum foil and baking it IN the pan of water, but on the review portion of the recipe on Epicurious, many people complained about this leading to a soggy crust. Baking the pie above the pan of water is another way to keep the top of your cheesecake smooth and crack free

*I would use some parchment paper cut into a round underneath the crust next time, since mine stuck A LOT.

Overall, this was a deliciously creamy cheesecake and perfect for the fall-holiday season!


For more of my fave pumpkin recipes check out:


Pumpkin Cupcakes



Pumpkin Soup



Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies



Easiest Pumpkin Cake Ever!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny - this time of year makes me want apple-related everything. I've been making apple crisps all week long. But I am dying to make that curried pumpkin soup recipe I have somewhere...
By the way, I'm never showing PJ this recipe. I'm extremely adept in the world of cookies, brownies, and all things bready...however, I ruin anything pie or cake-related. It's a disaster each and every time. PJ loves pumpkin pie. He loves cheessecake. This is a combo he must never learn about! You know, lest he expect me to attempt it. God forbid! LOL.

Anonymous said...

I have a pumpkin recipe for you that I entirely forgot about until your blog entry. Pumpkin gnocchi:

http://www.shape.com/recipes/23

It's really good!

Anonymous said...

Your epicurious cheesecake recipe reminded me of one I make from there http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/236386 It has carmel sauce on top with cream cheese icing...this picture with the site is a little kooky looking, I like to make stripes with the carmel sauce and do that cool butter-knife-drag-in -opposite-directions, to make that neat pattern? you know the one...I love love pumpking chocolate chip cookies, too!! Your cupcakes with the green gumdrop stems are too cute!

Anonymous said...

oh, and the carmel pumpkin cheese cake has a gingersnap crust...I use a spray of Pam on the springform pan, or else it would stick. OMG I love all your recipes...I should make some pumpkin chocochip cookies....

Anonymous said...

OMG my mom always made, and now I make, pumpkin cookies w/raisins and a caramel frosting. If you love all things pumpkin THEY ARE TO DIE FOR. I will easily eat an entire batch in roughly a day or two.