Pages

Monday, November 05, 2007

The Other White Meat

I bought a bag of cranberries for no reason the other day.

I just saw them and was like "OOH CRANBERRIES" and put them in my cart and then when I got home I wasn't quite sure what I would do with them.

Maybe involve them in some kind of cake?

Or maybe a stuffing?

I think, if you know me, you know what direction I went in. The direction that of course I will go in when presented with something that is known for making a fabulous sauce.

The CHUTNEY direction.

And so I went with a delicious Orange-Cranberry-Rosemary chutney that I figured would go excellently with the pork chops I had in the freezer.

Only I didn't have pork chops in the freezer. I had these:



WILD BOAR MEDALLIONS

(I appreciated the clarification under that phrase. It says "Feral Swine" in case I wasn't quite sure what wild boar entailed)

Adam and I had picked these up when we were at The Healthy Buffalo last night and I figured if the chutney was good with pork chops, it would be great with FERAL SWINE.

And OH. It was.

Cranberry-Orange Chutney with Rosemary
(this is for roughly 4 small servings so feel free to double or triple for your needs)
1/2 cup fresh cranberries
1/4 cup orange juice
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp dried rosemary

Combine the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat



Heat to boiling and then cover and turn heat down. Simmer for five minutes. Uncover and simmer for five more minutes or until desired consistancy is achieved.


Mmmmmmm.

Now get your WILD BOAR MEDALLIONS (or pork chops, if that is how you roll). Salt and pepper them and add to a pan heated over medium heat with about 1 TBSP olive oil in it.



When it comes to lower fat meats,as I have mentioned on here before, you want to go LOW and SLOW with the heat. It's better to cook it over medium-low and have it take an extra ten minutes than to cook over medium-high and have it finish more quickly.

I cooked the medallions for about 10 minutes total until they were no longer bright pink inside.




Mmmmmm.

The Rosemary and cranberry perfectly compliment the pork I mean BOAR. And it's so easy. The whole meal from start to finish can definitely take under 30 minutes if you cook the meat while you do your sides.

You heard it here first. Feral Swine: The Other White Meat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The word "feral" makes me think of once-tame animals that have now gone wild. Like feral housecats. All I can picture are pigs rummaging in allyways for tasty scraps and yowling at the moon. LOL.