Pages

Friday, February 08, 2008

Inspiration

I found this story on CNN.com pretty inspirational (about a writer who joined Weight Watchers, worked out and lost 168 pounds/ 13 dress sizes!). I especially love this frame of mind;

"I still write down everything I eat. I still ask myself, "How will I feel five minutes after I eat this?" If the answer is anything other than, "I will feel good having made this food choice," then I don't eat it. Or at least most of the time I don't. Sometimes that whiney voice wins. But the point is, I think about it. Am I eating because I want to or because I need to?"

For me the past month has been a lot about distinguishing between "being bored" and "being hungry". You would be amazed how interchangeable the two can be. I have tried to keep myself really busy so I won't be tempted to snack which, while it has resulted me completing a lot of "projects" around the apartment that I have been meaning to get to, is not really a long term solution. I can't outrun my bad habits. So this month is all about the thinking before eating. Am I really hungry? Do I need to eat this?

And I have noticed that while the feeling of digging into something decadent might feel good, it doesn't beat the good feeling of making a healthy food decision. So here's to keeping on track!

13 lbs off and counting!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your success! Really, keep up the amazing work! I just rejoined WW after quite a few years, and your words sum it all up perfectly. Healthy decisions feel much better than bad ones.

Anonymous said...

13 lbs! awesome! rock on there! :)

PS: i'm finally dragging my butt back to the gym today. that's my way of "making up" for "not so great but fun" food or drink choices ;)

Jenny said...

13 pounds?! That's awesome. Congrats!! I'm doing WW now too, but haven't had that much success.

Lys said...

CONGRATS! I need to get back on track - I've been working so many hours that takeout has been the only option.

*sigh*

RED said...

You are the woman Sarah! Way to go, 13 is quite an accomplishment! Proud of you, keep up the awesome work!

Heather said...

I find at work, I eat because I am bored. I started weight watchers a few months ago and I find that when I plan the food I am going to eat for the day ahead of time, I stick with it. I bring to work, yogurt for breakfast, apple for a mid morning snack, soup for lunch, and carrots for a mid afternoon snack. For dinner I have a Weight Watchers meal or I make something healthy. By planning what I am going to eat everyday, I am always eating but it's healthy.

alanna said...

ughh i wish that i had reread this post before i ate my evening mini-cupcake! i'm still feeling a little guilty after trying your shrimp quesadillas recipe...oh well, at least the cupcakes aren't full sized ;)