Pages

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Sassed Up Chicken Soup

As I mentioned on Twitter - Adam has managed to catch a rather lovely cold that involves both coughing, sniffles AND vomiting. Good times, oui? Living in a small apartment with a germ factory has me living in constant fear of getting sick myself. Is my throat sore? Am I achey? Might I have a fever? The answer to all these questions is no but to a hypo like myself they are questions I am asking myself on an hourly basis.

I do feel bad for him though. And he is a trooper, bravely rallying against this wretched cold and braveness must be rewarded. So, knowing that chicken soup is not only good for the soul but for the disgusting illness - I embarked on a search for a delicious recipe that maybe had an extra kick to it then plain old chicken broth and noodles.

Thank you Epicurious - for always coming through in the clutch. When I found their Country Captain Soup I knew I had found the elixir which would cure all ills. It involves three of my fave things: ginger, apples and CURRANTS. Oh and chicken and broth and noodles. And curry.

Intrigued? Read on.

Country Captain Soup
from Epicurious.com

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
4 garlic cloves, chopped
6 skinless boneless chicken thighs (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into 1-inch pieces (I used boneless skinless chicken breasts)
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
4 cups (or more) canned chicken broth
2 cups canned diced peeled tomatoes with juices
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup orzo2 tablespoons dried currants

Heat a large dutch oven over medium high heat with the olive oil. Throw in your chopped onion, pepper and garlic and saute until soft (about 5 minutes).



Add chicken, curry powder, ginger and crushed red pepper and stir for two minutes.


Add broth, tomatoes and apple and bring to a boil.



Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add orzo and currants and cook until orzo is just cooked through (about 5 minutes).



Enjoy!



The tastes are just incredible - not your average chicken soup by any means but that is what I like about it. Sweet and savory all at once!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

This sounds really incredible. What are currants, exactly? Are they like raisins?

Sarah said...

They are a little smaller and a little sweeter than raisins but you can definitely use raisins instead!

Anonymous said...

nothing like some good chicken soup. one can never be too old for it...
love the oil beads in yours :)