Pages

Monday, March 29, 2010

Mango Mojito

I belong to a book club. Once a month a different member of the club hosts and we meet to discuss the current assignment. It was my turn to host this month and our selection was "A Passage to India".

Now, I am the first to admit I am no Ina Garten. I wish I had the time to create a multi course Indian feast but I happen to have a full time job and a social life. So thanks to Trader Joe's and their amazing selection of frozen ethnic meals I was able to pull together a great feast of Biryani, Channa Masala, Vegetable Samosas and Garlic Naan (ok I totally forgot to serve the Naan but I enjoyed it the next day).

There is however, a component of menu planning that I never skimp on and that is COCKTAILS. I wanted to serve something somewhat Indian, refreshing, summery (since it was unseasonably warm that day).

What to do?

The answer was simple. Mango Mojitos! The sweet delicious smoothness of mango punched up my crisp mint and zesty lime. Oh lala! And it's a cinch to make. You will definitely want a few pitchers of these for your next warm weather gathering.

Mango Mojitos
(makes two good sized pitchers)

32 oz Mango Nectar (find it at Trader Joes or the Spanish aisle of your local supermarket)
1 750 ml bottle mango rum (I used Cruzan)
2 large bunches mint
2 limes + 1 lime,sliced into wheels for garnish.
Club Soda

Since I was splitting this up into two pitchers, I tore the leaves from each bunch of mint and put it in each pitcher. Then I squeezed the juice from one lime into each picther and muddled for about 3 minutes, until it smells so minty you can't stand it. Then fill each pitcher with equal amounts of the mango rum, using the entire bottle (what what!), then top off each pitcher with the mango nectar, using the entire bottle of that as well.

Pitchers of mango mojitos

To serve, pour into a wine glass filling about 1/2 way and top off with club soda! Garnish with a lime slice.

Mango Mojitos


So refreshing and delicious. And the mango nectar is sweet enough that you don't even miss the sugar you would normally put in a mojito. Feel free to experiment with other fruit nectars such as papaya or passionfruit!

No comments: