Pages

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

While nursing a vicious hangover on Saturday, I basically read The Good Housekeeping Cookbook from cover to cover (and by read I meant at looked at the pictures and felt nauseous but inspired). I decided to try and make a few things from that recipe collection each week and maybe, just maybe make my way through the whole cookbook in a year. (I won't write about EVERY recipe because really, you owe it to yourself to pick up the book. It is the best cookbook, truly).

Oh and I will probably have to skip over the kidney and brain recipes though, sorry.

So the other night I settled on the Chicken Tandoori because I had most of the ingredients and it was both exotic AND easy, a winning combination.

I used the split chicken breasts that the recipe calls for but I suspect with boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut up into 1-2 inch chunks it would be even better since the tenderizing marinade could really work into the meat. Next time I will be trying that. It came out delicious though.


Good Housekeeping's Tandoori Roasted Chicken


1 8z container of plain, low fat yogurt
1 small onion, chopped into quarters
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and miced
1 tablespoon paprika
2 limes
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 split chicken breasts (bone in), skins removed.

Combine all the ingredients but the chicken in a food processer and blend for a minute or two until smooth.

Place chicken breasts in bowl and pour in yogurt marinade. Make sure chicken is covered completely by marinade. Cover and refrigerate for one hour, turning every so often.

Place chicken in roasting pan and spoon one half of the marinde on top. Discard the rest.

Bake at 450 for about 1/2 hour or until juices run clear

No comments: