Pages

Friday, September 08, 2006

You know how sometimes, even first thing in the morning, you can just TELL that you won't feel like making a big deal about dinner. So you mentally plan on having pasta or sandwiches or something easy?

I definitely have days like that, as I have mentioned before. But sometimes, I feel like doing somethng special for dinner. Not for any particular reason, just because I feel inspired. And because I have enough time on my break to go to Whole Foods.

So on Wednesday night I decided to prepare a feast for Adam and I. I headed to Whole Foods on Washington Street in Newton and bought a lovely filet of salmon, asparagus and some manchego. I then went over to the oh so conveniently located Marty's next door for some gouda, crackers, and Pinot Noir. That particular wine is supposed to be perfect with salmon. I also had read that a New World Pinot (from the West Coast US) is best with fish, rather than an Old World Pinot (Europe). So as I perused the California Pinot Noirs, I came across a bottle of Francis Ford Coppola's Pinot Noir Rose cutely named "Sofia".



Truth be told I was not in the mood for a straight up red, so this seemed like a great choice. Plus the bottle is adorable, oui?

On the way home from work I stopped at a local bakery to pick up two slices of tiramisu (I tried to make it myself once, and it came out basically like a normal cake that someone dumped a very weak iced coffee all over. Not So Good). And we were good to go.

I fixed a cheese plate as an appetizer: Slices of Manchego, Gouda and some crackers, which we snacked on with some Shiraz left over from the night before in the living room.




I then got started on the fish. Adam is not super keen on fish, but I want us to eat more of it so I try and find ways to make it less "fishy" for him. I like salmon best grilled, but I do not like grilling fish. For one thing, I like the "walk away" factor of baking. Grills are too needy. Plus I can barely grill a hamburger without finding someway to ruin it and fish is far more delicate. So I went with a Baked Herb Salmon recipe I found online.

3/4 lb filet of salmon
1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp thyme

1 egg white
2 tbsp dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 350.

Line glass baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray.

Wash salmon filet and pat dry. Spread mustard on top.

In bowl combine the remaining ingredients until well blended. Press onto the top of mustard glazed filet.

Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes.




I served this with some steamed aspargus mixed up with some Olivio and lemon juice, and some garlic & herb rice pilaf (Near East). The salmon came out great, and the sides really went well with it. The Pinot Rose was PERFECT with the salmon. I could not have imagined a wine going better with it.

We promised ourselves when we moved in together that we would eat together every night at the dinner table and NOT in the living room in front of the TV. So far we have been pretty good about it, I'd say we're eating at the table about 70% of the time which is a nice step up from, o, 5% of the time.


So all in all, the meal was a success! It's good to have quickie meals once in a while, but every now and then it's fun to make something special for no reason other than you feel like it.

No comments: